Long Time No Post! What brought me back? I just received the JewelMint Spring Secret Mystery Box.
I signed up for JewelMint’s emails in the winter when I first heard of subscription fashion, jewelry, beauty stores (yes I am very very late on this). I’ve been browsing their selection from their daily emails. A lot of stuff seemed interesting but I usually never buy jewelry. At $29.99+ a piece for costume jewelry of questionable quality, I just didn’t want to commit to buying anything.
But then one day last week, they had a promotion for the Spring’s Secret Mystery box at the reduced price of $24.99 + shipping. Of course I was hooked in! I knew this was probably going to be a clearout the stock kind of thing but whatever. This is what the box description promised:
Your box is GUARANTEED to include:
- At least 2 pieces ($60 value)
- At least 1 NEW piece from the 2013 collection!
- A physical Surprise Gift
- A mystery promo code for use on your next JewelMint purchase (up to $100 value)Your box may also include:
- Up to 20 pieces ($600 value)
- A chance to name a 2013 JewelMint piece!
Okay. I knew only the 1st two bullet points could be true. Yes there would probably be a surprise…but it’s probably garbage and I was also highly skeptical of the $60 value. Well, REAL value anyways. But I figured if I lucked out and got 2-3 pieces of clearance jewelry, that’s about $12 a piece after shipping. Whatever, worth a gamble to try it, right?
When I came home tonight, I found my surprise sitting on the kitchen counter. Hurrah!
It arrived in a cute black bubble wrap envelope branded JewelMint. Inside was a ribboned black box, about 4x5x1 inch. I appreciate the external presentation.
Inside the lid was a nice little welcome message.
Then I lifted the black foamy thing that protects the jewelry from rattling during shipping and saw a first glimpse of my pieces.
I got a Basket Weave Bangle. It’s got a nice, solid feel. Not necessarily something I would choose for myself but it is bold and versatile.
However, I was very disappointed that it didn’t quite sit on my wrist well because it is defective. One of the elastics has missed a loop on the inside. Easily fixable though so it’s not too bad.
I don’t know what these are supposed to be, my physical surprise gift? Actually I looked it up online, I think they are Glamour Ties without the glamour. I guess I could go to Michael’s to grab some charms for it.
Then finally the last and only piece that is in perfect condition. I can’t find it on their site anymore but I do remember seeing it this year so the 2013 collection promise has been fulfilled.
Overall, am I happy with my purchase? Am I happy with what JewelMint offers?
Well, I’m not unhappy. The Spring Secret Mystery Box delivered in several ways. Here’s how:
- It got me excited while anticipating the receipt of a surprise in the mail – Surprise, check. Mystery, check.
- The quality of the goods is decent for the price I was willing to pay for costume jewelry – Buying stuff at a deal, check. ($24.99+ shipping vs. $29.99+ shipping normally)
- I received TWO 2013 pieces – Expectations met, check. (Even though one was slightly defective but at least it’s easily fixable and I don’t have to try and ship it back, hear that they won’t take it for any refunds/exchanges, etc.)
- Relatively fast shipping, check. (It took about a week in all from warehouse to my kitchen counter. It’s just a little slow for my taste because Amazon has pretty much set the standard for me. Two days and I received a coffee maker once upon a time!)
- Appeal to the lazy, check. (I didn’t have to get off my ass or go off my regularly routine to fab myself up just a little. I’m willing to pay whatever I did for that convenience.)
All in all, when I look at all of those points, I’d say my “not unhappy” status has shifted more over to the “somewhat content”.
The major reason keeping me down is that JewelMint now says I have a credit because I am now an Preferred Member. I’ve already missed the 1st-5th day of the month window to skip my purchase for this month, which I didn’t realize because a Preferred Member will be charged on the 6th of each month and given a credit unless I skip (damn the fine print!). So now I either have to pay full price for an item this month/next or I’ll have to battle it out with customer service to cancel my membership. The dread of all that inconvenience is seriously keeping my satisfactory feelings for JewelMint from blossoming into something more in line with what they probably hope for in a review. To conclude, I give the purchase and service a 6 out of 10, with the reservation to lower or increase that rating after the cancellation kerfuffle. It’ll depend on how their customer service department performs.
There you have it folks: a comprehensive review of JewelMint from a first time subscription shopping customer. I’ll be sure to update this post after I cancel the membership. Hope you’ve enjoyed reading this and found it useful!
Bonus point: It got me blogging about something less dark than my other blogs.